Sometimes dogs are confined to their crate or bed for extended periods of time due to illness or injuries. Needless to say, this can be a very difficult adjustment for many dogs – especially younger, high energy dogs. Following are several ideas that can make this time more tolerable; even productive and fun!
- Make mealtime more interesting by feeding from a Kong or hollow bone.
- Keep a safe chewie in the crate at all times so your dog has something to do.
- Move the crate around so your dog can enjoy a variety of sights, sounds and smells.
- Play classical or new age music. This is very relaxing for most dogs.
- Buy a book on acupressure, Ttouch or massage and learn to touch your dog in ways that speed healing.
- Spray Comfort Zone with DAP (dog appeasing pheromone) on a bandana and place around your dogs neck to help overcome restlessness.
Provide mental stimulation and fun by teaching your dog new skills and tricks that don’t require much movement like:
- Drop it – dog releases object.
- Take it – dog takes object in mouth.
- Leave it – dog stops going for object and returns his attention to you.
- Shake – dog puts paw in your hand.
- Where’s your nose – dog brings front paw to nose.
- Is that scary? – dog hides head under blanket or pillow.
- Sneeze – easiest to teach by marking and rewarding as it occurs naturally.
- Say sorry – dog rests head on floor or front paws.
- Speak – dog barks on cue.
- Kick it – roll the ball back to me or through goal posts.
- Wipe your mouth – dog wipes mouth on cloth.
- Pose for the camera – dog tilts head to side on cue.
- Find it – dog finds treat hidden under cup. Play shell game with 3-cups.
- Permit the wearing of sunglasses or hat.
- Ring bell with nose, paw or by pulling string.
- Touch nose to designated toy or colors/shapes on flash cards.
You can learn how to teach tricks by purchasing a book, searching the Internet or hiring a dog trainer.
Cynthia Edgerly, owner of Bingo! Dog Training in Watsonville, CA, is a Professional Dog Trainer & Certified Dog Behavior Consultant.
Bingo Dog Training proudly provides boarding school for dogs, private dog lessons, group training classes and dog behavior help in the following California cities: santa cruz, prunedale, aromas, freedom, corralitos, seaside, marina, pacific grove, scotts valley, watsonville, castroville, salinas, carmel, aptos, soquel, ben lomond, felton, pebble beach